Downward Facing Dog
Tuesday, December 1, 2020
Feet, Hamstrings, Hands, Shoulders, Spine
Forward Bend, Inversion, Resting
Adho Mukha Svanasana
(AH-doh MOO-kah shva-NAH-sun-uh)
adho = downward
mukha = face
svana = dog
· Stretches your hips, hamstrings, and calves
· Strengthens your ankles, quadriceps, and shoulders
· Tones your abdominal muscles
· Decompresses the spinal column
1. Come into a tabletop (hands and knees) position.
2. Spread your fingers and bring your wrist crease parallel to the front of your mat. Press downward into your hands. Pay special attention to root the index finger and thumb.
3. Curl your toes under and lift your hips up and back, creating an inverted “V” shape with your body.
4. Place your feet hip-width distance apart and your hands shoulder-width distance apart.
5. Press down and forward through the knuckles and rotate your biceps forward. Squeeze your elbows toward each other and lift the inner armpit.
6. Root your shoulder blades against your back ribs.
7. Draw your belly button in towards your spine.
8. Firm your quadriceps and slightly rotate the inner thighs back. Press your heels toward the floor.
9. Relax your neck and rest your gaze toward your ankles.
These are challenging times, but with the support of each other we have so much to be grateful for. Effective now, Illinois enters into Tier 3 Resurgence Mitigations, which means we will pause our in-studio yoga classes. Our amazing NEXT yoga instructors will continue to teach virtual classes.
Because it’s difficult to replace the heat and humidity in our homes, we will host a few “Private Instruction” Traditional Hot classes which are limited to 5 students. Please look at our temporary schedule at next-yoga.com
VIRTUAL CLASSES - NEXT yoga virtual on-line classes will continue throughout the day.
TRADITIONAL HOT “Private yoga”- We are permitted to lead “Traditional Hot Private Instruction” with a maximum of 5 people at our Wheaton Studio with the heat lowered to 100 degrees & humidity at 35.
MASKS - Masks are mandated to be worn at all times by teachers and students. Due to the rise in the positivity rate in the DuPage area, the only acceptable face covering will be a face mask that covers your nose and mouth.
Thank you for being a part of our community. You and our teachers have made NEXT yoga the premier studio that it is. We are thankful, grateful and truly blessed.
Stay healthy & safe,
Debbie & Lauren