Find Length & Strength in Standing Head to Knee
Wednesday, April 29, 2020
Standing Head to Knee Pose is an advanced yoga posture that challenges your focus and patience just as much as your strength. The pose uses all the major muscle groups in the body, but it’s especially beneficial for the muscles in the legs and abdomen, as well as the bicep and deltoid muscles in the arms.
· dandayamana = standing
· janu = knee
· sirsa = head
· asana = posture
Standing / Balancing
How to do it:
1. Once you are warmed up, come to Mountain pose and bring one knee up.
2. Stabilize through the balancing leg, and place the hands around the elevated foot, creating a cradle by interlacing the fingers.
3. Press out through the foot, extending the leg and pulling slightly back with the hands to create a stable tension. Bend the elbows and bring them to either side of the leg, preferably below the calf muscle.
4. Tuck your chin and begin to come forward, bringing the forehead toward the knee. Keep the leg extended and balancing leg straight, activating the thighs and abdominal muscles.
5. Hold it.
Feel free to use a strap and place it across the arch of the foot to help you straighten your leg and work on your balance.
The secret to mastering Standing Head to Knee is: mindset. Enjoy every step in this pose, because every step has something to offer your body, mind and soul. And more than anything, this posture demands that you activate and cultivate the connection between those! That's part of what makes it so tough, and that's also what makes it so special.
Benefits of Standing Head to Knee:
- Develops concentration, patience, determination and self-confidence
- Strengthens abdominal muscles
- Strengthens leg muscles
- Strengthens muscles of the feet and ankles
- Improves flexibility of the hamstrings and Achilles tendon
- Stretches the sciatic nerves
- Strengthens muscles of the upper arms, shoulder, and back
- Creates front side compression, flushing internal organs
- Increases heart rate
DON'T FORGET TO SIGN UP FOR LIVE STREAMING YOGA CLASSES!
To sign-up, click the link below. Once you find the class you would like to take, click the "sign-up" button and follow the prompts. If you already have an account with NEXT yoga, you MUST click "NEED NEW PASSWORD" before you login. You must sign-up at least 15 minutes before class!
If you have questions about how to sign-up or would like a step by step guide, click the link below:
For all other inquiries and assistance, email Lauren G. at email@example.com.
We can't wait to practice with all of our favorite yogis and to see your smiling faces!
Looking for a yoga instructor course "near me?" Contact Lauren Duncan -